- Professor of Finance, Risk Management and Insurance
- First Insurance Company Distinguished Professorship
- PhD Advisor for Finance
- Faculty Advisor for the Insurance & Risk Management Track
- PhD, Risk Management, and Master of Science in Information, Risk, and Operations Management, University of Texas at Austin, 2008
- BS, Finance, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2003
- Enterprise/Corporate Risk Management
- Longevity Risk Management
- Predictive Modeling for Insurance Fraud Detection
- Behavioral Insurance
- Insurance Regulation and Public Policy Issues
“ERM and Diversification Effect for Property and Casualty Insurance Companies,” with V. Bajtelsmit and T. Wang. 2016. Journal of Risk and Insurance, forthcoming.
“Healthcare Expenditure Shocks and Longevity Risk Effects on Optimal Annuitization,” with P.L. Brockett, L.L Golden, and W. Zhu. 2016. Journal of Risk and Insurance, forthcoming.
“Contracting with Present-Biased Consumers in Insurance Markets,” with L. Zhao and W. Zhu. 2016. Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, forthcoming.
“Optimal Enterprise Risk Management and Decision Making under Shared and Dependent Risks,” with T. Wang and P.L. Brockett. 2015. Journal of Risk and Insurance, forthcoming.
“A New Defined Benefit Pension Risk Measurement Approach,” with P.L. Brockett and A. Jacobson. 2015. Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, 63, 40-51.
“Predicting Individuals’ Insured Losses: Psychology, Responsibility, and Quantitative Correlates,” with P.L. Brockett, L.L Golden, and B. Kellison. 2015. North American Actuarial Journal, forthcoming.
“How to Set Rates If You Must: An Efficiency-Based Methodology for Setting Promulgated Insurance Rates with an Application to Title Insurance,” with P.L. Brockett, L.L Golden, and U. Pitaktong. 2015. Journal of Insurance Regulation (a National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) journal), 34 (7).
“Managing Weather Risks for J. League Soccer Teams in Japan,” with H. Ito and A. Ozawa. 2015. Journal of Risk and Insurance, forthcoming.
“A Robust Unsupervised Method for Fraud Rate Estimation,” with P.L. Brockett, L.L Golden, and M. Guillen. 2013. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 80 (1), 121-143.
“Enterprise Risk Management through Strategic Allocation of Capital,” with P. L. Brockett, W. W. Cooper, and L. L. Golden. 2012. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 79 (1), 29-55.
“Assessing Consumer Fraud Risk in Insurance Claims with Discrete and Continuous Data,” with P. L. Brockett, and L. L. Golden. 2009. North American Actuarial Journal, 13 (4), 438-458.
Awards & Honors
- 2012-2014 - Shidler Faculty Fellow
- 2011 - Shirley M. Lee Research Award, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- 2010 - Research Relations Fund, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- 2009 - Hagen Family Foundation Award, American Risk and Insurance Association.
- 2003 - University Preemptive Fellowships, The University of Texas at Austin.