- Professor of Information Technology Management
- PhD, Business Administration, University of Arizona
- MS, Management Information Systems, University of Arizona
- BS, Business Administration, National Taiwan University
- BUS 311 Information Systems for Global Business Environment (3)
- ITM 352 Programming Application Systems (3)
- ITM 354 Database Systems (3)
- ITM 360 Current Topics in ITM (3)
- ITM 366 Information Systems in Organizations (3)
- ITM 387 (Alpha) Advanced Topics in Information Systems (3)
- ITM 399 Directed Reading and Research (V)
- ITM 685 Electronic Commerce (3)
- ITM 660 Current Topics in Information Systems (3)
- ITM 699 Directed Research (3)
- ITM 704 Doctoral Seminar in Information Systems (3)
- Big Data <==> Big Data System Design Methodology, Agile Big Data Analytics, Big Data Engineering, Big Data Value Discovery, Big Data Architectures, Big Data Technologies, NoSQL Data Modeling, Big Data As a Service (BDaaS), Neo-Metropolis Model, Big Data enabled Innovation and New business models, Big Data Clouds, Architectural Analysis and Rapid Prototyping for Big Data Systems, Microservices, DevOps, Mining big data for software architecture design, Mining big data for Cybersecurity
- Service Engineering + Business-IT Alignment <==> Software Economics, Software Architecture, Metropolis Model, Edge-dominant Systems, Crowdsourced Systems, Open Source Systems, Strategic Management, Service System development, Service Dominant Logic (SDL), Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), Web 2.0, IT Governance, Enterprise Architecture, Software Architecture, Business Performance Management, Business Process Management, Business Architecture, Business Modeling, Grid Computing, Collaborative Commerce
- Social CRM (Customer Relationship Management) <==> Social Networks, CRM, ECRM, E-Commerce, E-Business, Business Intelligence, Technology Adoption, e-Healthcare, e-Tourism, Telemedicine, Human Computer Iteraction (HCI)
- Green Information Systems <==> Sustainability service design and development, Smart Grid, Architecture Landscape, System Dynamics, Ultra large Scale Green Information Systems, Triple Bottom lines (TBL) or 3P (plant, people, profit) metrics, analysis and optimization
Hong-Mei Chen, Keynote, "Engineering Future Transactive Energy Systems: Challenges and Directions," GREENS'16, ICSE 2016, May 16, 2016. (Abstract on http://greens.cs.vu.nl/)
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, and Serge Haziyev. “Agile Big Data Analytics for Web-based Systems: An Architecture-centric Approach," IEEE Transactions on Big Data, in preprint, April 2016.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, and Serge Haziyev. “Strategic Prototyping for Developing Big Data Systems,” IEEE Software, March, 2016.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, Ira Monarch and Ping Wang. “Predicting and Fixing Vulnerabilities Before They Occur: A Big Data Approach,” Proceedings of BIGDSE’16 (Big Data Software Engineering), in conjunction with the 38th Int. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE 2016), Austin, Texas, May 2016, to appear.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, Juan Garbajosa, and Eloy Gonzalez. “Toward Big Data Value Engineering for Innovation,” Proceedings of BIGDSE’16 (Big Data Software Engineering), in conjunction with the 38th Int. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE 2016), Austin, Texas, May 2016, to appear.
Hong-Mei Chen, Roland Schütz, Rick Kazman, and Florian Matthes. “Amazon in the Air: Innovating with Big Data at Lufthansa,” Proceedings of HICSS-49, Jan. 2016.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, Serge Haziyev, Valentyn Kropov and Dmitri Chtchourov. “Big Data as a Service: A Neo-Metropolis Model Approach for Innovation,” Proceedings of HICSS-49, Jan. 2016.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, and Serge Haziyev. “Agile Big Data Analytics Development:An Architecture-centric Approach,” , HICSS-49, submitted June 23, 2015, Proceedings of HICSS-49, Jan. 2016.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, and Florian Matthes. "Demystifying Big Data Adoption: Beyond IT Fashion and Relative Advantage," Proceedings of PreICIS (International Conference on Information System) DIGIT workshop, Fort Worth, Texas, Dec. 2015.
Henri Terho, Sampo Suonsyrja, Ari Jaaksi, Tommi Mikkonen, Rick Kazman, and Hong-Mei Chen. “Lean Startup Meets Software Product Lines: Survival of the Fittest or Letting a Thousand Products Bloom?” SPLST'15 (Symposium on Programming Languages and Software Tools), Oct. 2015.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, Serge Haziyev, Valentyn Kropov and Dmitri Chtchourov “Architectural Support for DevOps in a Neo-Metropolis BDaaS Platform,” The Second International Workshop on Dependability and Security of System Operation (DSSO 2015), Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Sept 28, 2015.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, Serge Haziyev and Olha Hrytsay, “Big Data System Development:An Embedded Case Study with a Global Outsourcing Firm,” Proceedings of BIGDSE’15 (Big Data Software Engineering), in conjunction with the 37th Int. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE 2015),May 16-24, Florence,Italy.
Mehdi Mirakhorli, Hong-Mei Chen and Rick Kazman, “Mining Big Data for Detecting, Extracting and Recommending Architectural Design Concepts,”Proceedings ofBIGDSE’15 (Big Data Software Engineering), in conjunction with the 37rd Int. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE 2015),May 16-24, Florence,Italy.
Martin Naedele, Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, Yuanfang Cai, Lu Xiao, Carlos V.A. Silva. “Manufacturing Execution Systems: A Vision for Managing Software Development,” Journal of Systems and Software, accepted, Nov. 2014. Volume 101, March 2015, Pages 59–68. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2014.11.015
Prior to 2015 (Selected)
See http://hmchen.shidler.hawaii.edu/Publications.htm for more publications
Hong-Mei Chen and Stephen L. Vargo. “Rethinking Social CRM Design: A Service Dominant Logic Perspective,” In Handbook on e-business strategic management, Series PROGRESS in IS, editor Francisco J. Martínez-López, Springer, pp. 768-783, 2014.
Hong-Mei Chen and Rick Kazman. “Architecting for Ultra Large Scale Green IS,” Proceedings of GREENS 2012: First Workshop on Green and Sustainable Software (GREENS) In conjunction with the 34rd Int. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE 2012), Zurich, Switzerland, June 2-9, 2012.
Hong-Mei Chen. “Architectures for the Edge,” Chapter 27 in in L. Bass, P. Clements, R. Kazman, Software Architecture in Practice, (3rd ed.), Addison-Wesley, 2012.
Hong-Mei Chen, Rick Kazman, and Opal Perry. “From Software Architecture Analysis to Service Engineering: An Empirical Study of Methodology Development for Enterprise SOA Implementation.” IEEE Transaction on Services Computing, April-June 2010 (vol. 3 no. 2), pp. 145-160
Hong-Mei Chen and Stephen L. Vargo. “Service -Oriented Challenges for Design Science: Charting the “E”-volution,” Pacific Asian Journal of the Association of Information Systems (PAJAIS), Vol. 2 No. 1, March 2010, pp.1-15.
Hong-Mei Chen. “Electronic Commerce,” in The Handbook of Technology Management, editor Hossein Bidgoli, publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010.
Rick Kazman and Hong-Mei Chen. "The Metropolis Model: A New Logic for the Development of Crowdsourced Systems," Communications of the ACM, July 2009.
Hong-Mei Chen and Stephen L. Vargo. “Toward an Alternate Logic for Electronic Customer Relationship Management.” Special Issue “Marketing Transformation to the New e-Business Environment: Emerging Trends, Approaches and Challenges", International Journal of Business Environment (Interscience Publishers), vol. 2(2): 116-132, 2008.
Hong-Mei Chen. “Towards Service Engineering: Service Orientation and Business-IT Alignment,” Proceedings of IEEE Hawaii International Conference on System Science (HICSS-41) Jan.7-10, 2008.
Awards & Honors
- Presidential Citation for Meritorious Teaching Award, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Dennis Ching Outstanding Teaching Excellence Award, Dennis Ching Memorial Foundatio
- CBA Teaching Excellence Award, Shidler College of Business, UHM
- Kaizen (Service Excellence) Award, Shidler College of Business, UHM
- Fulbright Senior Specialist in IT Award, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, CISE
- Global Information Infrastructure (GII) in Healthcare award, International GII Society
- Current Research Grants/Awards and Collaboration
- " An Economics-Based Framework for Assessing Software Modularization Decisions." Senior consultant, NSF research grant, $1.1 million, PIs: Yuanfang Cai (Drexel University) and Rick Kazman (University of Hawaii), 2011-2015.
- Previous Research Grants/Awards
- DARPA (Department of Advanced Research Project Agent) grants:
- High performance telemedicine and image database development: Associate Director for a US$5 million project in collaboration with NASA, State of Hawaii, Tripler Medical Center, Ohio Supercomputing center and Georgetown Medical Center.
- Electrical Vehicle data visualization project: US$450K grant in conjunction with Electrical Vehicle National Data Center under a US$34 million grant.
- Led datawarehousing and data mining project for Electrical Vehicle National Data Center.
- More than a dozen of research awards from Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) and SCB for research on e-business, multimedia database, SOA adoption, and electronic customer relationship management.
- Private corporation research grant on "An Investigation into the Management of Ultra-Large Scale Grid Computing."
- Fulbright Grant on "Business-IT Alignment," hosted by University of Jyväskylä, Finland.
- DARPA (Department of Advanced Research Project Agent) grants:
- Teaching (Curriculum Development) Grants
Oracle, IBM and CIBER.
- Instructional Hardware/Software/Cash Grants
- Obtained from private companies and individuals donations for founding the Advanced Information Management Solutions (AIMS) Lab;
- Initial US$ 1.7 million software donation plus annual upgrades, over US$200K technical support + over US$128K hardware grants;
- Sponsoring companies include: Oracle, Sun, Apple, KPMG, Rare & Dear, Commercial Data Systems, etc..
Previous Positions Held (Selected)
- Interim Associate Dean for Academic Programs
- Interim Director, Executive Education
- Director, Neighbor Island MBA
- President, CBA Faculty Senate
- Founder and Director, Advanced Information Management Solutions (AIMS) Lab