Master of Accounting (MAcc) - Admission Guidelines
Although each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis, in general, an applicant for the MAcc must meet all the following criteria (No prior work experience is required for the MAcc):
- Complete ACC 201 & 202 (Introduction to Financial & Managerial Accounting) prior to admission.
- Achieve 3.0 GPA (grade point average) minimum (a higher GPA is needed for the 3/2 program).
- Take GMAT or GRE within the last 5 years (at least 500 GMAT score or GRE equivalent is needed for admission).
- For International Students, a minimum TOEFL 600 or IELTS 7.0 score is expected
- Lower English test scores are occassionally accepted, but students must take a placement exam when starting the program and/or take English language classes in addition to their MAcc coursework.
3/2 Master of Accounting (BBA + MAcc) - Admission Guidelines
- Current BBA student majoring in Accounting at the Shidler College of Business
- Have completed at least two upper-division (300 or 400 level) accounting courses
- 3.4 GPA either overall or in accounting courses
- Currently, have at least one semester remaining prior to graduation
Graduate Admissions — MAcc Application Process
Complete Graduate Admissions Application Form and pay $100 application fee.
Submit your transcripts to the Shidler College of Business
Hawaii Residents only:
International Students only:
Submit GMAT scores to code PBQ-59-83 or GRE code 2630 (if applicable, see more info below)
Submit your Statement of Objectives which should address the following questions:
Optional documents: Resume and Letters of Recommendation
Submit all materials via mail or in person to:
Transcripts Required (Except for Studies at UH and 3/2 Program)
- Submit an official transcript from each higher education institution attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
- NO need to submit official transcripts for coursework completed at UH.
- 3/2 MAcc program does not require transcripts.
- Send the transcripts directly from the institution to the Shidler Graduate Admissions Office, or in a sealed institutional envelope if submitted with the application to the address above.
- International Transcripts - further instructions
- If you earned your undergraduate degree from an institution outside of the United States, please contact the Shidler Graduate Admissions Office at 808-956-5463 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions.
GMAT or GRE
Applicants are required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) unless they are applying for the 3/2 MAcc program. Your application is not complete until we have received a copy of your test scores. To have your application reviewed during a specific admissions deadline, your score must arrive to us by the posted deadline.
- GMAT code for Master of Accounting applicants is PBQ-59-83
- GRE code is 2630
The GMAT and GRE are administered worldwide throughout the year at various testing sites. You are responsible for coordinating your own appointments for test taking.
The Shidler College of Business will consider only your highest test score rather than an average of all of your GMAT/GRE scores. Therefore, please notify us if you plan on retaking the GMAT/GRE to ensure we review your application using your highest score. Test scores more than five years old are not valid.
For further information and testing arrangements for the GMAT/GRE, please visit the GMAT or GRE web site.
TOEFL and IELTS for International Applicants
- Most applicants whose native language is not English must submit official scores for either the TOEFL or IELTS.
- Test scores cannot be more than two years old.
- Exemption from the TOEFL/IELTS for an international applicant is possible if he or she has earned a bachelor's or advanced degree within the last five years at a regionally accredited or recognized institution in the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, or the United Kingdom.
- The ETS Code for the Shidler College of Business at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa is B187.