- Associate Professor of Management
- Ph.D., Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Michigan State University, 2006
- M.A., Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Michigan State University, 2003
- B.A., Psychology, California State University, Long Beach, 2000
- A.A., Psychology, Orange Coast College, 1997
Referred Journal Articles
D’Anna, L. T., Nguyen, H.-H. D., Reynolds, G. L., Fisher, D. G., Janson, M., Chen, C., & Malotte, K. (2012). The relationship between sexual minority discrimination and utilization of health services: Results from Los Angeles Countywide Risk Assessment Survey (CRAS 2009). Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services, 24, 119-139.
Derous, E., Ryan, A. M., & Nguyen, H.-H. D. (2012). Multiple categorization in resume screening: Examining effects on hiring against Arab applicants in field and lab settings. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33, 544-570. doi 10.1002/job.769.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., & Yang, J. (2012). Chinese employees' interpersonal conflict management strategies. International Journal of Conflict Management, 23, 382-412.
Yang, J., Nguyen, H.-H. D., & Chen, X. (2011). An empirical study of Chinese typology of workplace deviance. Chinese Journal of Management, 8, 403-408.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., Le, H., & Boles, T. (2010). Individualism-Collectivism and cooperation : A cross-society and cross-level examination. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 3, 179-204.
Derous, E., Nguyen, H. H.-D., & Ryan, A. M. (2009). Hiring discrimination against Arab Minorities: Interactions between prejudice and job characteristics. Human Performance, 22, 297-320.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., & Ryan, A. M. (2008). Does stereotype threat affect cognitive ability test performance of minorities and women? A meta-analytic review of experimental evidence. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93, 1314-1334.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., & Nguyen, N. T. (2008). Examining personal values and entrepreneurial motives of Vietnamese entrepreneurs in the 21st century: Two Empirical Studies. African and Asian Studies, 7, 141-171.
Whitney, D. J., Lindell, M., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2004). Earthquake beliefs and adoption of seismic hazard adjustments. Risk Analysis, 24, 87-102.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., O’Neal, A., & Ryan, A. M. (2003). Relating test-taking attitudes and skills and stereotype threat effects to the racial gap in cognitive ability test performance. Human Performance, 16, 261-294.
Rotundo, M., Nguyen, D.-H., & Sackett, P. R. (2001). A meta-analytic review of gender differences in perceptions of sexual harassment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86, 914-922.
Streets, V.N., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (In press). Stereotype threat impacts on women in the workforce. In R. Debbie & D. Major (Eds.), Men in organizations : Allies or adversaries to women’s career advancement. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
Boles, T.L., Le, H., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2010). Persons, organizations, and societies: The effects of collectivism and individualism on cooperation. In R.M. Kramer, A. E. Tenbrunsel, & M. H. Bazerman (Eds.), Social Decision Making: Social Dilemmas, Social Values, and Ethical Judgments (pp. 171-200). New York: Psychology Press.
Chao, G. T., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2005). International perspectives on employment discrimination. In R. L. Dipboye & A. Colella (Eds.), The Psychological and Organizational Bases of Discrimination at Work (pp. 379-408). Somerset, NJ: Jossey-Bass.
Awards & Honors
- Aug. 12, 2013: "2012 Journal of Organization Behavior Best Paper Award Runner-Up" awarded by JOB and Wiley for the paper "Multiple categorization in resume screening: Examining effects on hiring discrimination against Arab applicants in field and lab settings," Volume 33 Issue 4.
- 2010-present - Part-time Research Scientist appointment, The Center for Innovation and Strategic Human Resource Management at Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics, P.R. China
- 2008-present - Research Fellow appointment, The Michigan State University Center for Multicultural Psychology Research
- 2008 - Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology’s “Featured Top Posters,” Do applicants with an Arab-sounding name suffer more hiring discrimination? Co-investigators: Derous, E. (principal), & Ryan, A.M.
- 2007 - Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology’s Small Grant Recipient. Hiring Discrimination Against Arabs: Interaction with Applicant, Job, and Recruiter Characteristics. Co-investigators: Derous, E. (principal), & Ryan, A.M.
- 2002-2005 - National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program, National Science Foundation
- 2001-2003 - International Predissertation Fellowship Program, the Social Science Research Council, New York
- 2000-2006 - Competitive Doctoral Enrichment Fellowship, Michigan State University
- 2000 - Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship, California State University, Long Beach
- 2000 - Outstanding Graduate (Valedictorian), Class of 2000, College of Liberal Arts, California State University Long Beach
- 2000 - Minority Undergraduate Student of Excellence, American Psychological Association
- 2000 - 1st Place - State-wide Student Research Competition, the California State University system
- 1998-2000 - National Institute of Mental Health Career Opportunities in Research (COR) Program
- 1998-2000 - Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Scholars Program
- 1998-1999 - California Pre-Doctoral Scholars Program, California State University, Office of Chancellors
- 2008-2009 - Internal Consultant. Western Association of Schools and Colleges Core Commitment Group on Communication
- 2008-present - External Consultant. The Union of Vietnamese Student Associations of Southern California, Garden Grove, California.
- 2007, 2010, 2013 - Program Evaluator. Long Beach Better Learning After School Today (BLAST) program.
- 2007 - Program Evaluator. Center for Community Engagement (CCE).
- 2006 - Internal Consultant. North America Recruiting Office, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI.
- 2005-2008 - External consultant. Gifts Compass Instrument, Inc., Ohio.
- 2004 - Expert rater (pro bono). The Personnel Board of Jefferson County, Alabama.
- 2003-2004 - Workshop coordinator. Police Executive Development workshop series: “Executive Leadership for Challenging Times”
- 2003 - Expert rater. The SHL Litigation Support Group USA, Inc., Boulder, Colorado.
- 2002-2003 - Research Intern. University of Social Sciences and Humanities at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- 2002-2003 - External consultant. Jackson National Life, Okemos, MI.
- 2001 - External consultant. Pharmacia, Kalamazoo, MI. Faculty: Drs. Neal Schmitt & Ann Marie Ryan.
- 2000-2001 - External consultant. The City of Columbus Fire Department, Columbus, OH.