- Professor of Marketing
- Shidler College Distinguished Professor
- PhD, Michael F. Price College of Business Administration, University of Oklahoma, 1997
- MS, Social Psychology, University of Oklahoma
- BA, Psychology, University of Oklahoma
- ABD, University of Oklahoma, Health Sciences Center, Human Ecology & Social Psychology
- Certified Travel Counselor (CTC), The Travel Institute, Wellesley, MA
- Market and Marketing Theory, Strategy, Service-Encounter Evaluation
Books and Monographs
Vargo, Stephen L and Robert F. Lusch (2018), Sage Handbook of Service-Dominant Logic, London: Sage
Lusch, Robert F. and Stephen L. Vargo (2014), Service-Dominant Logic: Premises, Perspectives, Possibilities, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press (in press)
Lusch, Robert F. and Stephen L. Vargo (2006), The Service-Dominant Logic of Marketing: Dialog, Debate, and Directions, Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe
Vargo, Stephen L. (2020), “From Promise to Perspective: Reconsidering Value Propositions from an S-D Logic Orientation,” Industrial Marketing Management, (in press)
Vargo, Stephen L., Heiko Wieland, and Melissa A. Akaka (2020), “A Service Ecosystems Perspective on Innovation Diffusion,” Journal of Business Research (in Press)
Hartmann, Nathan, Heiko Wieland, and Stephen L. Vargo (2018), “Converging on a New Theoretical Foundation for Selling," Journal of Marketing, 82 (March), 1-18 (Lead article).
Shelby D. Hunt/Harold H. Maynard Award, which recognizes the author(s) of the article that made the greatest contribution to the advancement of the marketing theory and thought.
Wieland, Nathan, Nathan Hartmann, and Stephen L. Vargo (2017), "Business Models as Service Strategy," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science,
Vargo, Stephen L., Kaisa Koskela-Huotari, Bo Edvardsson, Steve Baron, Javier Reynosa, and, Maria Colurcio (2017), A Systems Perspective on Markets: Building a Research Agenda , Journal of Business Research, (in press)
Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch (2017). “Service-Dominant Logic in 2025,” International Journal of Research in Marketing, 34(1): 46-67.
Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch (2016), “Institutions and Axioms: An Extension and Update Of Service-Dominant Logic,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 44(1), 5-23.
Lusch, Robert F, Stephen L. Vargo, and Anders (2016), “Fostering a Transdisciplinary Perspective of Service Ecosystems,” Journal of Business Research, 69 (8), 2957-63
Barrett, Michael, Elizabeth Davidson, Jaideep Prahhu, Stephen L. Vargo, and (2015), “Service Innovation in a Digital Age: Key Contributions and Future Directions,” MIS Quarterly” 39(1), 135-54.
Vargo, Stephen L., Heiko Wieland, and Melissa A. Akaka (2015), “Institutions in Innovation: A Service Ecosystems Perspective,” Industrial Marketing Management 44 (1) 63-72.
Bettencourt, Lance, Robert F. Lusch, and Stephen L. Vargo (2014) “A Service Lens on Value Creation: How Marketing Should Enable Strategic Advantage,” California Management Review, 57 (Nov).
McColl-Kennedy, Janet R., Stephen L. Vargo, Tracey S. Dagger, Jillian C. Sweeney, and Yasmin van Kasteren (2012), "Health Care Customer Value Co-creation Practice Styles," Journal of Service Research,” 15 (Nov), 370-89.
Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch (2011), “It‘s all B2B and Beyond…: Toward a Systems Perspective of the Market,” Industrial Marketing Management, 40 (2), 181-187.
Lusch, Robert L., Stephen L. Vargo, and Mohan Tanniru, (2010), “Service, Value-Networks, and Learning, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 38(1), 19-31.
Merz, Michael, Yi He, and Stephen L Vargo (2009), “The Evolving Brand Logic: A Service-Dominant Logic Perspective,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 37 (3), 338-44.
Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch (2008), "Service-Dominant Logic: Continuing the Evolution," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 36 (1), 1-10
Vargo, Stephen L., Paul P. Maglio, and Melissa Archpru Akaka (2008), “On Value and Value Co-Creation: A Service Systems and Service Logic Perspective,” European Management Journal, 26(3), 145-52
Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch, (2004), “The Four Services Marketing Myths: Remnants from a Manufacturing Model,” Journal of Service Research, (May), 324-35
Vargo, Stephen L. and Robert F. Lusch, (2004) “Evolving to a New Dominant Logic for Marketing,” Journal of Marketing, 68 (January), 1-17.
Awards & Honors
- WEB OF SCIENCE/CLARIVATE ANALYTICS, “WORLD’S MOST INFLUENCIAL SCIENTIFIC MINDS” list – Most Highly Cited Researchers (Top 1%) in Business and Economics, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 1029
- AMA/Sheth Foundation Award, for long-term contribution to the field of marketing
- FELLOW, International Society of Service Innovation Professionals, 2014
- INTERNATIONAL FELLOW, Center for Relationship Marketing and Service Management (CERS), Hanken School of Economics, Helsinki.
- RMIT FOUNDATION INTERNATIONAL VISITING FELLOW, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 2012
- INTERNATIONAL FELLOW, CTF Service Research Center, University of Karlstad, Sweden, awarded for “long term and significant contributions to the service research field.” 2011
- EVERT GUMMESSON RESEARCH AWARD, for outstanding research, 2011
- LUDWIG ERHARD HONORARY PROFESSORSHIP, University of Bayreuth, Germany, 2010
- AMA/HAROLD H. MAYNARD AWARD for Outstanding Contribution to Marketing Theory and Thought, 2005, 2018
- Chief Executive Officer, LeisureX Corporation, Oklahoma City - Retail and wholesale hospitality services corporation
- Board of Directors, Community Bank, Oklahoma City/Midwest City, Oklahoma - Chairman, Marketing Committee
- Vice-President, Antec Corporation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Research and consulting firm
- 2009-Present - Shidler Distinguished Professor and Professor of Marketing, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawai’i at Manoa
- 2005-2009 - Associate Professor of Marketing, Shidler College of Business University of Hawaii
- 2003-2005 - Visiting Professor of Marketing, Robert H. Smith School of Business University of Maryland, College Park
- 1998-1999, 2002-2003 - Visiting Professor, Orfalea College of Business California Polytechnic State University
- 1996-1998, 1999-2002 - Visiting Assistant Professor, Anderson Graduate School of Management University of California
Other Selected Academic Appointments
- VISITING RESEARCH FELLOW, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, UK, 2012
- VISITING PROFESSOR, CTF Service Research Center, Karlstad, Sweden, 2012-present
- VISITING PROFESSOR, University of Warwick, UK, 2012