- Professor of Accounting
- Shidler College Distinguished Professor
- Ph. D., Accounting, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2007
- M.B.A., College of Business Administration, Seoul National University, Korea, 2001
- B.B.A., College of Business Administration, Seoul National University, Korea, 1999
Financial accounting issues related to cash holdings, dividend policy, credit ratings, and capital structure; Stock analysts’ forecasts; International accounting
“Labor Unions and Earnings Smoothing” with Sophia Hamm, and Woo-Jong Lee, Forthcoming at Contemporary Accounting Research
The Impact of Dividend Covenants on Investment and Operating Performance" With Woo-Jong Lee and Sunny Yang, Journal of Business, Finance, and Accounting, (2016), Volume 43(3-4), pages 414-447.
“Does International Accounting Standard No. 27 Improve Investment Efficiency?” with Audrey Wen-hsin Hsu and Hamid Pourjalali, Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance (2015), Volume 30, pages 484-508.
“When Do Stock Analysts Look to Bond Analysts? Evidence from Earnings Forecast Revisions to Bond Rating Changes” with K. (Shiva) Sivaramakrishnan and Naomi Soderstrom, Accounting and Business Research (2016), Volume 46 (1), pages 3-30.
“Financial Reporting Quality and Labor Investment Efficiency” with Woo-Jong Lee and Dave Weber, Contemporary Accounting Research (2014), Volume 31(4), pages 1047-1076, Winter 2014.
“Earnings Smoothing Activities of Firms to Manage Credit Ratings” with Naomi Soderstrom and Sunny Yang, Contemporary Accounting Research (2013), Volume 30, Issue 2, pages 645–676, Summer 2013 (June)
“Firm Characteristics Influencing Responses towards Adoption of the Fair Value Accounting Option: A Survey of CFOs of U.S. Firms” with Shirley J. Daniel, Hamid Pourjalali, and Eric Wen, Advances in Accounting (2013)
“Do Financial Analysts’ Long-term Growth Forecasts Matter? Evidence from Stock Recommendations and Career Outcomes” with Phil Shane and Sunny Yang, Journal of Accounting and Economics (2012), Volume 51, Issues 1-2, pages 55-76.
“Do Financial Analysts Add Value by Facilitating More Effective Monitoring of Firms’ Activities?” with Kevin Sun and Sunny Yang, Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance (2012), Volume 27, no.1, pages 61-99.
Awards & Honors
- Shirley Lee Faculty Research Award, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2015
- Shidler Distinguished Associate Professorship, 2014 - Present
- Best Paper Award at the 2014 Northeastern Regional Meeting of American Accounting Association
- Accuity LLP Fellowship, 2012 - 2014
- The Recipient of a Teaching Award for the graduate course, ‘Accounting Theory and Development’ (ACC616), 2012
- Shidler College of Business Summer Research Fund, May, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007
- The Best Paper Award at the 3rd Annual Conference World Accounting Frontiers Series the 2011, University of Macau, Macau
- The Best Paper Award at the 2011 Western Regional Meeting of AAA, New Port, California
- Fellow, the 2008 AAA New Faculty Consortium, February 2008, Washington DC
- Fellow, Deloitte/J. Michael Cook American Accounting Association Doctoral Consortium, June 2006, Lake Tahoe, CA
- Fellow, Pac 10 Plus Doctoral Consortium, February 2006, Salt Lake City, UT
- Gerald Hart Summer Research Fellowship, University of Colorado at Boulder, summer 2003, 2004, and 2005.
- University Fellowship, University of Colorado at Boulder, Fall 2002 & Spring 2006.
- ILJU Academic and Cultural Research Foundation Scholarship, Seoul National University, Korea, 2001-2002
- Songwon Fellowship for Outstanding Academic Performance, Seoul National University, Korea, 1995, 1999-2000.
- Samsong Fellowship for Outstanding Academic Performance, Seoul National University, Korea, 1992 – 1994.
- “Costly Dividend Increases and Future Prospects: Evidence for Firms with Weak Credit Ratings” with Ross Jennings and Sunny Yang, Working Paper.
- “Labor Unions and Earnings Smoothing” with Sophia Hamm, and Woo-Jong Lee, Working paper.
- “Product Market Competition and Financial Reporting Quality: A Non-linear relationship” with Ying Guo and Sunny Yang, Working paper
- “Competition, Earnings Quality, and Managers’ Hiring Decision” with Stephan Fafatas, Bryan Lee, SungWook Yoon, and Desmond Yuen, Working paper
- “The Interpretive Information Content of Credit Rating Changes for Stock Investors” with Michael Clement and Sunny Yang, Working paper.
- “Has the Value of Cash Increased over Time?” with Ji-Woong Chung and Duri Park, Working paper.
- “The Impact of Non-Financial Stakeholders on Accounting Conservatism: The Case of Labor Unions” with Hsin-Yi Hsieh and Han Yi, Working paper.
- “Leverage and Wage: Evidence from an Emerging Economy” with Curtis Hall, Duri Park and Ilhang Shin, Working Paper.
- “Laborism and Corporate Employment Efficiency around the World” with Tony Kang, Woo-Jong Lee, and Gaoguang (Stephen) Zhou, Working Paper.
- “Accounting Quality, and Investment Efficiency: Evidence from Japan” with Bok Baik and S. Ghon Rhee, Working paper.
- “The Effect of the 2003 Dividend Tax Rate Reduction on Corporations' Cost of Capital” with David Guenther and Michael Williams, Proceedings of the 2005 University of Illinois Tax Research Symposium (2005)