- Professor of Finance, Risk Management and Insurance
- First Insurance Company Distinguished Professorship
- PhD Advisor for Finance
- Faculty Advisor for the Insurance & Risk Management Track
- PhD, Risk Management, and Master of Science in Information, Risk, and Operations Management, University of Texas at Austin, 2008
- BS, Finance, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2003
- Insurance Markets and Operations
- Behavioral Insurance
- Insurance Regulation and Public Policy Issues
- Enterprise/Corporate Risk Management
- Business Analytical Modeling
- Household Finance
- Healthcare Financial Management
- Longevity Risk Management
Jing Ai, Jennifer Russomanno, Skyla Guigou, and Rachel Allan (2022) “A Systematic
Review and Qualitative Assessment of Fraud Detection Methodologies in Health Care,” North American Actuarial Journal, 26, 1-26
Jing Ai and Tianyang Wang (2020) “Exploring Cyber Risk Contagion – A Boundless Threat,” Variance, forthcoming
Jing Ai, Lin Zhao, and Wei Zhu (2020) “Precautionary Effort, Self-Control and Competitive Equilibrium in Insurance Markets,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 87, 751-782
Jing Ai, Vickie Bajtelsmit, and Tianyang Wang (2018) “The Combined Effect of ERM and Diversification on Property and Casualty Insurer Performance,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 85, 513-543
Jing Ai, Lin Zhao and Wei Zhu (2018) “Portfolio Choice in Personal Equilibrium,” Economic Letters, 170, 163-167
Jing Ai, Patrick L. Brockett and Tianyang Wang (2017) “Optimal Enterprise Risk Management and Decision Making under Shared and Dependent Risks,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 84, 1127-1169
Jing Ai, Patrick L. Brockett, Linda L. Golden, and Wei Zhu (2017) “Health State Transitions and Longevity Effects on Retirees' Optimal Annuitization,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 84, 319-343
Haruyoshi Ito, Jing Ai, and Akihiko Ozawa (2016) “Managing Weather Risks for J. League Soccer Teams in Japan,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 83, 877-912
Jing Ai, Lin Zhao, and Wei Zhu (2016) “Contracting with Present-Biased Consumers in Insurance Markets,” Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, 41, 107-148
Linda L. Golden, Patrick L. Brockett, Jing Ai, and Bruce Kellison (2016) “Empirical Evidence on the Use of Credit Scoring for Predicting Insurance Losses with Psycho-Social and
Biochemical Explanations,” North American Actuarial Journal, 20, 233-251 (Winner of the Most Outstanding Journal Article of 2016 by the Society of Actuaries)
Jing Ai, Patrick L. Brockett, Linda L. Golden, and Utai Pitaktong (2015) “How to Set Rates If You Must: An Efficiency-Based Methodology for Setting Promulgated Insurance Rates with an Application to Title Insurance,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, 34, 167-205. (Winner of the 2015 Spencer L. Kimball Award Writing Award of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners)
Jing Ai, Patrick L. Brockett and Allen Jacobson (2015) “A New Defined Benefit Pension Risk Measurement Approach,” Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, 63, 40-51.
Jing Ai, Patrick L. Brockett, Linda L. Golden, and Montserrat Guillen (2013) “A Robust Unsupervised Method for Fraud Rate Estimation,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 80 (1), 121-143.
Jing Ai, Patrick L. Brockett, William W. Cooper and Linda L. Golden (2012) “Enterprise Risk Management through Strategic Allocation of Capital,” Journal of Risk and Insurance, 79 (1), 29-55.
Jing Ai, Patrick L. Brockett and Linda L. Golden (2009) “Assessing Consumer Fraud Risk in Insurance Claims with Discrete and Continuous Data,” North American Actuarial Journal, 13 (4), 438-458.
Awards & Honors
- 2012-2014 - Shidler Faculty Fellow
- 2011 - Shirley M. Lee Research Award, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- 2010 - Research Relations Fund, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- 2009 - Hagen Family Foundation Award, American Risk and Insurance Association.
- 2003 - University Preemptive Fellowships, The University of Texas at Austin.