In addition to accounting scholarships offered locally, nationally, and internationally (discussed later), many accounting scholarships are offered at University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa through the Shidler College of Business. For more information on scholarships and financial support, see the Shidler College of Business web-page and the University of Hawaii Foundation scholarship STAR system (note that the scholarship deadline is usually mid-February). A separate SOA web-page lists some prior year scholarship recipients in accounting and Business Night award winners.
UH and UH-Mānoa offer some merit scholarships to attract the best and brightest, such as the UH Regents and Presidential Scholarships, Mānoa Chancellor’s Scholarships, and Mānoa Merit Scholarships.
Current accounting scholarships for SOA students include:
- Accounting Student Educational Support
- Association of Government Accountants of Hawaii Endowed Scholarship Fund
- CW Associates, CPAs Scholarship
- Deloitte & Touche Scholarship Endowment Fund
- Don Corbin, Ph.D. Scholarship Fund
- Ernst & Young LLP Accounting Scholarship
- Fujii and Rodriguez Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Hawaii Accounting Education Foundation Scholarship Endowment Fund
- Hawaii Association of Public Accountants Oahu Chapter Endowed Scholarship
- Hawaii Society of Certified Public Accountants Scholarship
- Howard and Vivian Todo Scholarship Fund
- Institute of Internal Auditors-Hawaii Chapter Scholarship
- James A. Hassett/Ernst & Young Scholarship for Accounting Excellence
- KPMG LLP Scholarship for Accounting Excellence
- Patrick Oki Endowed Scholarship Fund for Beta Alpha Psi
- PKF Scholarship for Excellence in Accounting
- Manuel Sylvester Scholarship
- The Marge Sylvester Scholarship Fund
- Master's of Accounting Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Robert H. Y. Leong & Company Endowed Scholarship
After acceptance into the Shidler College of Business, financial assistance is available through scholarships, awards, and tuition waivers based on merit. Accounting students often receive scholarships open to all business students, such as:
- Asian Field Study Scholarship Fund
- Professor Misawa Honjo International Fellowship (Asian Finance Fellowship) to study abroad at Japanese universities
- Financial Executives International - Hawaii Chapter Endowed Scholarship
- Freeman Scholarships (for study abroad)
- Oscar and Rosetta Fish Fund for Excellence Scholarship
- T.C. and Angeli Chan Endowed Scholarship Fund
The Hawaii Community Foundation administers many local scholarship funds, including some for accounting students, such as from the Hawaii Society of CPAs (HSCPA). Fukunaga Scholarship Foundation every year provides over $150,000 in scholarships to encourage students in the State of Hawaii to pursue a higher education in business administration or a related area. Each undergraduate scholarship is in the amount of $16,000 over four years. Ke Ali'i Pauahi Foundation (supporting the educational needs and goals of people of Hawaiian ancestory) has the "Goldman Sachs Scholarship" for Full-Time Graduate Students, with applications available from early February to mid-March. The Hawaii Association of Public Accountants (HAPA) also offers scholarships for undergraduates and graduate accounting students.
National Scholarships in Accounting
Many national accounting organizations also offer scholarships to encourage the pursuit of an accounting education, such as the American Institute of CPAs (AICPA), the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), the Association for Government Accountants (AGA), and the Accounting & Financial Women's Alliance.
AICPA Legacy Scholarships provide students with help with their educational expenses worth between $1,000 to $10,000. Also, AICPA Legacy Scholars also have the opportunity to gain real-world experience and beyond-the-classroom skills employers are craving. See ThisWayToCPA.com. Deadline to apply is typically the end of March.
Other AICPA scholarships include:
- AICPA/Accountemps Scholarship for students majoring in accounting, finance or information systems
- AICPA John L. Carey Scholarship for students with non-business related undergraduate degrees pursuing graduate studies in accounting
- AICPA Scholarship for Minority Accounting Students for students of ethnic backgrounds who are considered underrepresented in the CPA profession
- AICPA Foundation Two-year Transfer Scholarship for students transferring from a two-year institution to a four-year accounting program
IMA Scholarships – All IMA Student members can apply for awards. These include the IMA Memorial Education Fund scholarships and the Stuart Cameron and Margaret McLeod Society (SCMS) Memorial Scholarship, both with a usual deadline of mid-February. The UH Accounting Club is an IMA student chapter.
The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Foundation offers the Ritchie-Jennings Memorial Scholarship. Students who wish to pursue a career in fraud examination are ideal candidates. The deadline date for completed applications is usually early in February. Students can visit ACFE.com/Scholarship for eligibility criteria and to complete the online application. Scholarships range up to $10,000.
The East-West Center grants scholarships to degree fellows from all over the Asia-Pacific region for studies at the University of Hawai'i. Scholarship applications are normally due November 1st.