- Professor of Accounting
- Lloyd Fujie/Deloitte Foundation Distinguished Professor
- PhD, Syracuse University
- MS, Peking University
- BS, Peking University
- BUS 624 Accounting for Decision-Making
- Financial Accounting
- Corporate Finance
“No-Fly Zone in the Loan Office: How CEOs’ Risky Hobbies Affect Credit Stakeholders’ Evaluation of Firms” (2022) with Bo Ouyang, Yi Tang, Chong Wang, Organization Science 33 (1): 414–30. (featured in Harvard Business Review Idea Watch)
"Time Encoding in Languages and Investment Efficiency” (2021), with Jaehyeon Kim and Yongtae Kim. Management Science 67(4): 2609-2629.
“Does Audit Committee Accounting Expertise Help to Promote Audit Quality? Evidence from Auditor Reporting of Internal Control Weaknesses” (2019) with Ling Lei Lisic, Linda A. Myers and Timothy Seidel. Contemporary Accounting Research 36 (4): 2521-2553.
“Do Banks Price Independent Directors’ Attention?” (2018), with Henry He Huang, Gerald Lobo, and Chong Wang, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 53 (4): 1755-1780.
“Languages and Earnings Management” (2017), with Jaehyeon Kim and Yongtae Kim, Journal of Accounting and Economics 63 (2-3): 288-306.
Awards & Honors
- 2022 Shirley M. Lee Senior Research Award, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
- Academic Year 2022-2023 Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination
- Academic Year 2020-2021 University-wide Excellence in Teaching Award Nomination from Shidler College of Business
- 2019 Shirley M. Lee Research Award, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
- 2019 Journal of Accounting and Economics PlumX Metrics – Top Social Media Articles (Top 3)
- 2019 Journal of Accounting and Public Policy Top Downloaded Paper
- 2018 Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, Marquis Who’s Who
- 2017 Shirley M. Lee Research Award, Shidler College of Business, University of Hawai‘i at Manoa
Journal Editorial Board Member
- The Accounting Review (2020 - Present)
- Contemporary Accounting Research (2023 - Present)
- Auditing: A Journal of Practice and Theory (2011 - Present)
- International Journal of Auditing (2014 - Present)