- Professor of Accounting
- Shidler College Distinguished Professor
- Hawaii Accounting Research Conference (HARC) Co-Chair
- Hawaii Accounting Research Doctoral Institute (HARDI) Co-Chair
- PhD, Accounting, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2007
- MBA, College of Business Administration, Seoul National University, Korea, 2001
- BBA, College of Business Administration, Seoul National University, Korea, 1999
- Financial Reporting Issues Related to Labor Economics
- Stock Analysts
- International Accounting
“Pro-Labor Institutions and Corporate Labor Investment Efficiency” with Tony Kang, Woo-Jong Lee, and Gaoguang (Stephen) Zhou, Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance, Forthcoming.
“Labor Unions and Earnings Smoothing” with Sophia Hamm, and Woo-Jong Lee, Contemporary Accounting Research (2018), Volume 35(3), pages 1201-1228, Fall 2018.
“Financial Reporting Quality and Labor Investment Efficiency” with Woo-Jong Lee and Dave Weber, Contemporary Accounting Research (2014). Volume 31(4), pages 1047-1076, Winter 2014.
“Earnings Smoothing Activities of Firms to Manage Credit Ratings” with Naomi Soderstrom and Sunny Yang, Contemporary Accounting Research (2013), Volume 30, Issue 2, pages 645–676, Summer 2013 (June).
“Do Financial Analysts’ Long-term Growth Forecasts Matter? Evidence from Stock Recommendations and Career Outcomes” with Phil Shane and Sunny Yang, Journal of Accounting and Economics (2012), Volume 51, Issues 1-2, pages 55-76.
Awards & Honors
- 2019 Winner of the Lazaridis Institute Prize at Canadian Academic Accounting Association - Honorable Mention: David Godsell, Boochun Jung, and Devan Mescall, "Real Effects of Investor Relations."
- Special Issue of Asia–Pacific Journal of Financial Studies on Corporate Culture, Media, and Politics in Finance, Research award
- Editorial Board Member at Korean Accounting Review, 2017 - 2018
- Shirley Lee Faculty Research Award, University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, 2015
- Shidler Distinguished Professorship: 2018 - Present