- Assistant Professor of Accounting
- Accuity LLP Accounting Faculty Fellow
- Accounting Ph.D. Program Coordinator
- Graduate Faculty (Level 1)
- Ph.D., Business Administration (Accounting), Fuqua School of Business, Duke University, 2017
- M.A., Economics, Department of Economics, Duke University, 2015
- B.S., Management (Highest Honor and Certificate in Accounting), Scheller College of Business, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005
Archival, economics-based research, focusing on effects of accounting standards and securities regulations on capital market participants and management, and the informational feedback effects from financial markets.
- "International Financial Reporting Standards and the Macroeconomy," with Asad Kausar.
The Accounting Review (forthcoming).
- "Information Content of Credit Rating Affirmations," with Boochun Jung, Asad Kausar, Byungki Kim, and Jian Zhou.
Contemporary Accounting Research (forthcoming).
- "Capitalization of In-Process Research and Development under SFAS 141R and Information Asymmetry," with Hyeesoo Chung, Stephen A. Hillegeist, and Jinyoung Wynn.
Contemporary Accounting Research 36 (4): 2379–2407 (2019).
Selected Working Papers
- "Financial Reporting Frequency and Managerial Learning from Price," with Stephen A. Hillegeist, Asad Kausar, and Arthur Kraft.
- “Labor Skills and Income Smoothing,” with Boochun Jung, Tae Wook Kim, and Minyoung Noh.
- “Data Analytics and Operational Efficiency,” with Asad Kausar and Jee-Hae Lim.
- “Does Stock Liquidity Impact Non-GAAP Reporting? Evidence from a Natural Experiment,” with Byungki Kim, Kalin Kolev, and Hangsoo Kyung
- “Financial Analysts’ Long-Term Earnings Growth Forecasts for Loss Firms,” with Songyi Han, Boochun Jung, and Huihao Yan.
Awards & Honors
- Winner of Shidler College BBA Professor of the Semester for a Major Core Course for Spring 2023, 2023
- Winner of Shidler College BBA Professor of the Semester for a Major Core Course for Fall 2022, 2023
- Nominated for the Board of Regents (BOR) Medal for Excellence in Teaching (at the university level), 2022
- Nominated for the Board of Regents (BOR) Medal for Excellence in Teaching (at the university level), 2021
- Nominated for the Board of Regents (BOR) Medal for Excellence in Teaching (at the university level), 2020
- Best Reviewer Award, Korean Securities Association and Asia-Pacific Journal of Financial Studies, 2020
- AAA/Deloitte Foundation/J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2016
- AAA Financial Accounting and Reporting Section Doctoral Consortium Fellow, 2016
- Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) Outstanding Survey Award, 2013
- James B. Duke Fellowship, Duke University, 2012–2017
- J.B. Fuqua Scholarship, Duke University, 2012–2017
- C.T. Bauer Presidential Fellowship, 2010–2011
- Dean’s List and Scholarship for Excellence, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2004–2005
Additional Professional Reference