The University of Hawai‘i (UH) welcomes your company or institution to consider participating in the 36th annual Asian Field Study for the summer of 2019.
What is the Asian Field Study?
The UH Shidler College of Business' Asian Field Study (AFS) is one of the top global business field study programs focusing on Asia-Pacific. It takes a group of primarily executive MBAs on a tour through Asia to visit companies, government agencies and cultural sites. The objective is to prepare students from around the world for careers and business opportunities in the dynamic Asia-Pacific region. Moreover, the program works to improve relations between countries in the region through increased education and communication.
Photos from 2018 Asian Field Study (click to scroll through more photos).
How do companies and institutions participate in AFS?
- Companies from across Asia participate in the AFS by hosting our students for a short (60 to 90 minute) visit.
- A typical visit includes a company introduction from management, Q&A session or panel discussion with students and a short company tour, if applicable.
- For content, discussions could include details on the company’s products and services, market and industry trends, economic factors, manufacturing or service methods, corporate strategy, global trade, human resource issues and/or business practices in Asia.
- Our group size is 20 to 25 students and we bring our own translator to meetings.
What are the potential benefits to participate in AFS?
- Positive Public Relations. In hosting our visit, companies are helping to promote international relations, global education and the development of Asia-Pacific trade. The company is welcome to take pictures of the visit and use them for websites, news articles and/or annual report material. Also, if desired, we can publish pictures and news of our visit on our UH Shidler College of Business website.
- Establish Business Relationships. The AFS group is made up of executive MBAs working in a wide variety of industries. As appropriate, the host company is welcome to develop relationships with our group, which could lead to future business opportunities.
- Consulting Services. If your company is interested, our MBAs can conduct industry or market research on your behalf and provide a free consulting report. If you are looking at opportunities in new ventures, global trade, M&A, capital raising or simply would like research on market trends, we would be happy to help.
- Pitch Business. If host companies are interested in pitching new business ideas or ventures, we provide an audience of business professionals with experience in a wide range of industries that can ask questions to refine the venture concept and better understand global investors and markets.
2019 AFS Tentative Schedule:
Tokyo: June 24-29
Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Guangzhou: June 30-July 7
Ho Chi Ming City: July 8-13
Seoul: July 14 (Day Trip)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact:
Asian Field Study Faculty Director
Shidler College of Business, University of Hawaii
Phone: 808-226-6049 or 956-7493
About the University of Hawai‘i and the Shidler College of Business
The University of Hawaii System is comprised of ten campuses across the Hawaiian Islands. Hawaii's position between east and west creates opportunities for Asia-Pacific leadership and influence. The Shidler College of Business is renowned for its expertise in international management and has been ranked among the nation's top 25 schools for international business by U.S. News World Report.