Humanities Integrated Program with Social Sciences (HIPSS), is a year-long program offered at the Shidler College of Business. This 40 student cohort takes courses that apply towards the pre-business requirements and develops lifelong relationships with peers and faculty. It is designed for incoming freshmen pre-business students and direct admit students intending to obtain their business degree from Shidler College. Faculty integrate humanities and social science topics into the curriculum to help students develop the skills to relate to and understand their classmates, fellow citizens, and future colleagues.
When & Where?
- This is an in-person program
- All courses will occur in the same classroom (specific room number is TBD, but, will be at the Shidler College of Business)
- HIPSS is held every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1-5pm
What courses are offered in this program?
- Fall Semester: BLAW 200, BUS 250, COMG 151, ECON 130
- Spring Semester: ECON 131, SOC 100, ACC399 (skills course)
What will I learn?
- You will be a part of a cohort and exposed to a variety of topics: communication, leadership, and decision-making, amongst others.
- Expect to become a better oral and written communicator, develop math and leadership skills, while working in diverse groups under the supervision of faculty who are among the best in Hawai’i.
- You will assess changes in technology, perform risk assessment, and seek opportunities.
- You will learn to think through a societal lens and familiarize yourself with the laws that apply to business topics.
Why should I join HIPSS?
1. CONSISTENT SCHEDULE AND LOCATION
- The HIPSS program ensures students are on-track to completing their business degree without the stress of having to plan their schedule and balance which classes to take. There is no need to run from one end of campus to the other or search for classrooms because all classes are offered in the same spot every meeting day!
2. DEVELOP LIFELONG FRIENDSHIPS
- Having a few people to start with at the beginning of the academic year makes the transition to college life a lot easier! While your fellow cohort members will be with you all year long, you will still be able to take courses of your choice each semester to branch out and meet other students too!
3. DEDICATED FACULTY
- The HIPSS faculty are committed to offering novel, engaging spins on traditional coursework through integrated games, class discussions, simulations, and case studies.
4. DEVELOP LEADERSHIP SKILLS and SET YOURSELF UP FOR FUTURE SUCCESS!
- After completing the HIPSS program, you will receive a detailed course/module transcript proving that you are apart from other graduates because you will possess the qualities employers are seeking. Start your career off with a strong foundation and the confidence to succeed in an ever-changing world.
5. NO EXTRA COST!
- There are no additional fees associated with joining the HIPSS cohort! All fees are included in your Mānoa tuition.
How do I apply?
- APPLY HERE: https://go.hawaii.edu/c4k
- For more information or questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org