Who May Apply for the Business Minor?
Currently enrolled UHM classified students, not enrolled or intending to enroll in the Shidler College of Business (to pursue a BBA degree), who will meet all Shidler College of Business admission requirements (see below) no later than the end of the semester before the expected date of entrance.
The Shidler College of Business does not offer a minor in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business, Management, Management Information Systems, or Marketing; the program must pursued as a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree.
Once students are admitted to the business minor program, they will no longer be eligible to pursue a BBA degree at the Shidler College of Business.
|^Application link available||Priority deadline*||Final deadline|
|For fall admission:||Jan. 15-April 1||March 1, 12pm||April 1, 12pm|
|For spring admission:||August 15-November 1||October 1, 12pm||November 1, 12pm|
*Applicants who submit their application by the priority deadline will be sent a decision before registration begins for the upcoming semester.
Admission Requirements for the Minor
- 60 credits (junior standing)
- Cumulative GPA* of 2.50 in all course grades (attempted at both UH Mānoa and all other colleges attended). If a student has earned 30 or more credits at UH Mānoa with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher, the transfer GPA will not be used to determine admission.
- Combined 2.50 GPA* minimum in the 5 pre-business minor courses (see below) with no grade below "C" (not "C-"). Please note that "C" grades cannot be repeated. All attempts of courses will be taken into account when calculating the GPA (the grade replacement policy is applicable only for Mānoa courses).
- Pre-Business Minor courses:
- (1) Choose one (a or b):
- (a) both LTEC 112 AND LTEC 113, OR
- (b) ICS 101
- (2) ECON 120, 130, OR 131
- (3) ACC 200 (ACC 201 may be accepted if taken outside of Mānoa)
- (4) Choose one (a or b):
- (a) Calculus (BUS 250 or MATH 203 or 215 or 241(205) or 251 or NREM 203) OR
- (b) Statistics (EDEP 429 or NREM 310 or ECON 321 or PSY 225 or SOCS 225)
- (5) Choose one: PSY 100 OR SOC 100
- (1) Choose one (a or b):
- Pre-Business Minor courses:
*GPA Calculation Note
If a student takes a DIFFERENT course to raise his/her GPA (e.g., earned "C" in PSY 100, earned a "B" in SOC 100), the higher grade will be used to calculate the pre-business GPA (since it was earned in a different course). If courses are repeated, then ALL non-UHM grades will be factored into the cumulative GPA calculation. Since Fall 2012, UHM Grade Replacement Policy became effective for any repeated UHM courses.
Minor in Business - Requirements
The Minor in Business Administration shall consist of 15 credits of coursework (see below) completed with a "C" or better in each course:
Required (6 credits):
- BUS 312 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 315 Global Management and Organizational Behavior (prerequisite course: PSY 100 or SOC 100)
Electives (9 credits):
- ACC 210 Introduction to Accounting II (prerequisite course: ACC 200) -OR- ACC 202 (prerequisite course: ACC 201) if ACC 201 was taken at a UH CC and used for admission
- BUS 310 Statistical Analysis for Business Decisions
- BUS 311 Information Systems for Global Business Environment
(prerequisite course: ICS 101, or both LTEC 112 AND 113)
- BUS 313 Economic & Financial Environment of Global Business
(prerequisite courses: ECON 130 and ECON 131)
- BUS 314 Business Finance
(prerequisite courses: ACC 200 and ACC 210 [or ACC 201 and ACC 202], ECON 130, and ECON 131)
A. Notes for all students pursuing the Business minor: Click here for more info on the minor requirements
- Exceptions to substitute business courses other than those listed, are not allowed.
- Prerequisites to business courses are strictly enforced.
- Clearance for business minor courses will be provided to admitted students for the Fall and Spring registration periods.
- If a student takes ACC 200 at Manoa, they must continue to ACC 210 at Manoa if they wis to use a 2nd accounting course toward the minor (similarly, if ACC 201 is taken outside Manoa, it must be followed by ACC 202 outside Manoa to be used toward the minor). No mixing of the two Accounting course sequences is allowed.
- Shidler Residency Requirement: 9 credits towards the minor must be taken at the Shidler College of Business-no more than 6 credits will be accepted from other Universities/Institutions.
B. TIM students pursuing the Business minor: Click here for important information on the minor and TIM major requirements (effective starting Fall 2022)
1. The same course may not be used to satisfy both a major and minor. Therefore:
- ACC 210/202 cannot fulfill a business minor elective for TIM majors
- BUS 310 can only fulfill a business minor elective if TIM majors take an alternate statistics course for the TIM major (i.e., ECON 321, NREM 310, or SOCS 225)
2. TIM Majors cannot receive credit for both BUS 312 and TIM 304; and BUS 315 and TIM 303. Therefore, TIM students will take the following required business-minor substitution courses:
- BUS 312: MKT elective (not 311/321)
- BUS 315: MGT elective or HRM 351
3. TIM students should plan to take BUS 311, BUS 313 and BUS 314 as their business minor elective courses. Accordingly, TIM students should remember to take ECON 131 as a prerequisite. See above regarding BUS 310 for a business minor elective.
Please see your TIM advisor if you have any questions regarding impacts pursuing a business minor may have on your academic plans.