- Professor Emeritus of Management
- PhD, University of California at Los Angeles, 1967
- MBA, University of California at Los Angeles, 1964
- BS, US Merchant Marine Academy, 1961
Transportation management; Organizational leadership including board of directors/trustees development.
H. David Bess, Henry S. Marcus, Abbott D. Weiss and Michael E. Valdez, “Integrating Logistics Case Studies to Show the Impact of Speed: Overview and Benefits” Indian Journal of Economics and Business, March 2009
Michael E. Valdez, H. David Bess, and Henry S. Marcus, Hawaii Superferry: Is Speed the Most Important Factor in Moving Cargo?” Indian Journal of Economics and Business, March 2009
H. David Bess, Henry S. Marcus and Michael E. Valdez, “Government Transportation Statistics: A Concern for Researchers” Transportation Journal, Fall 2005
Henry S. Marcus, H. David Bess, and Michael E. Valdez, "Common Fare: An Example of 'Blanket' Rates in Hawaii Waterborne Trade" Journal of Transportation Management, Fall 2005.
Henry S. Marcus, Michael E. Valdez, and H. David Bess, “The Relationship Between a Unique Transportation Rate Structure and Logistics in Hawai’i” Western Decision Sciences Institute, April 2006.
Stephen Jenner and David Bess, “Engineering Services in Mexico and Chile: An International Strategic Management Case Study” and Teaching Note, Family Business Casebook, Fall 2005
Awards & Honors
- 2014 - 2015 Dennis Ching Teaching Award
- 2014 - Fall Professor of the Semester, MHRM
- 2014 - Spring Professor of the Semester, Part Time MBA
- 2013 - Spring Professor of the Semester, Master of HRM
- 2012 - Fall Professor of the Semester, MHRM
- 2012 - Spring Professor of the Semester, Part Time MBA Core
- 2011 - Spring Professor of the Semester, Part Time MBA
- 2010 - Spring 2010 Professor of the Semester, Part Time MBA
- 2010 - Full Time MBA Professor of the Semester
- 2010 - Fall Professor of the Semester, MHRM
- 2009-2010 - Dennis Ching Teaching Award
- 2008 - Spring Professor of the Semester, Part Time MBA
- 2006 - Teacher of the Year, Graduate Business Students Association
- 2004 - Dennis Ching Outstanding Teaching Award
- 1998 - State of Hawaii Governor Proclamation of Congratulations
- 1989 - State Senate of Hawaii Resolution of Congratulations
- 1989 - State of Hawaii, Senate Resolution of Congratulations
- 1988 - University of Hawaii, Board of Regents Resolution of Congratulations
- 1988 - Academy of International Business, International Dean of the Year Award
- 1986 - United States Merchant Marine Academy, Outstanding Professional Achievement Award
- 1965 - The International Directory of Distinguished Leadership Beta Gamma Sigma
Dr Bess earned his BS degree in Nautical Science from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (Kings Point), and his MBA and Ph.D. in transportation management from the University of California, Los Angeles. After completing his doctorate in 1967, he joined the College of Business Administration at the University of Hawai’i as a faculty member and academic administrator. He has served in various academic and administrative positions at the University of Hawaii, completing 18 years as Dean, and returning to the faculty as Professor of Management and Transportation as of July 1998.
After graduation from Kings Point, he returned to Hawai’i and served as a second officer on seagoing tugs and a management trainee for Hawai’i Tug and Barge Company, Ltd. Over the past 40+ years at the University of Hawai’i he has held administrative positions in the Office of the Chancellor and the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs as well as the College of Business Administration where he served as Dean from 1981-1998. He has had visiting appointments at Kings Point and UCLA (1973-74), Oregon State University (1992-93), and the University of Colorado at Denver (Fall 1998).
His academic research and teaching have focused on transportation management and policy, especially in the maritime area, and strategic management and the management of not-for-profit organizations. He has authored two books and numerous articles and chapters in books and recently concluded a funded study on shipping policies and their impact on Hawai’i. He currently teaches courses in organizational behavior, the external environment of business, and human resources management.
Dr. Bess has served as a member of both AACSB and WASC accreditation teams to other universities and as a speaker, advisor, and consultant on matters concerning transportation, international education management, and AACSB accreditation. He has served on committees and task forces appointed by the Governors of the State of Hawaii and American Samoa, and the Mayor and City Council of Honolulu. Among other awards, he is the recipient of the Dennis Ching Distinguished Teaching Award and the Academy of International Business' International Dean of the Year award.
He has served on the Board of Directors of over ten public and private organizations. He currently serves on the boards of the Hawai’i Chapter of the American Red Cross (Chair, 1991-92), JAIMS and the Japan-America Institute of Management Science Foundation.