- Professor of Management
- Ph.D., Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Michigan State University, 2006
- M.A., Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Michigan State University, 2003
- B.A., Psychology, California State University, Long Beach, 2000
- A.A., Psychology, Orange Coast College, 1997
- HRM 351 Human Resource Management (3)
- HRM 354 Organizational Change and Effectiveness (3)
- HRM 673 Advanced Organizational Behavior (3)
- HRM 671 Human Resource Management (3)
- BUS 626 Leadership and Organizational Behavior (3)
- MGT 650 Management Topics (3)
- MGT 660 Negotiation (3)
- MGT 399 Directed Reading and Research (V)
Referred Journal Articles
Phan, A. T. & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2022). Workers’ Attitudes toward Women Managers: Evidence from Vietnam. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal (ahead-of-print).
Derous, E., Nguyen, H. H. D., & Ryan, A. M. (2021). Reducing ethnic discrimination in resume-screening: a test of two training interventions. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology, 30(2), 225-239. DOI: 10.1080/1359432X.2020.1756907
Clingan, S.E., Fisher, D.G., Reynolds, G.L., Janson, M.A., Rannallli, D. A., Huckabay, L., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2020). Survival sex trading in Los Angeles County, California, USA. Journal of Sex Research. DOI: 10.1080/00224499.2019.1703885
Yang, J., Nguyen, H.-H. D., Xiong, X., & Wang, X. (2019). Feeling identified vs. behaving as such : A multi-study project on Chinese organizational identification and Chinese employees’ identification profiles. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 1039-1059.
Ryan, A. M., & Nguyen, H.-H. D. (2017). Publication bias and stereotype threat research. Journal of Applied Psychology, 102, 1169-1177.
Reynolds, G., Nguyen, H. -H. D, Singh-Carlson, S., Fisher, D.G., Odell, A., & Xandre, P. (2016). Application of the extended Health Control Belief model to predict Hepatitis A and B vaccinations. Public Health Nursing, 33, 430-439. Doi 10.1111/phn.12254
Nguyen, H.-H. D., Smith, C., Reynolds, G., & Freshman, B. (2015). The effect of acculturation on obesity among foreign-born Asians residing in the United States. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 2, 389-399. DOI 10.1007/s10903-014-0027-6
D’Anna, L. T., Nguyen, H.-H. D., Reynolds, G. L., Fisher, D. G., Janson, M., Chen, C., & Malotte, K. (2012). The relationship between sexual minority discrimination and utilization of health services: Results from Los Angeles Countywide Risk Assessment Survey (CRAS 2009). Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services, 24, 119-139.
Derous, E., Ryan, A. M., & Nguyen, H.-H. D. (2012). Multiple categorization in resume screening: Examining effects on hiring against Arab applicants in field and lab settings. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33, 544-570. doi 10.1002/job.769.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., & Yang, J. (2012). Chinese employees' interpersonal conflict management strategies. International Journal of Conflict Management, 23, 382-412.
Yang, J., Nguyen, H.-H. D., & Chen, X. (2011). An empirical study of Chinese typology of workplace deviance. Chinese Journal of Management, 8, 403-408.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., Le, H., & Boles, T. (2010). Individualism-Collectivism and cooperation : A cross-society and cross-level examination. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 3, 179-204.
Derous, E., Nguyen, H. H.-D., & Ryan, A. M. (2009). Hiring discrimination against Arab Minorities: Interactions between prejudice and job characteristics. Human Performance, 22, 297-320.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., & Ryan, A. M. (2008). Does stereotype threat affect cognitive ability test performance of minorities and women? A meta-analytic review of experimental evidence. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93, 1314-1334.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., & Nguyen, N. T. (2008). Examining personal values and entrepreneurial motives of Vietnamese entrepreneurs in the 21st century: Two Empirical Studies. African and Asian Studies, 7, 141-171.
Whitney, D. J., Lindell, M., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2004). Earthquake beliefs and adoption of seismic hazard adjustments. Risk Analysis, 24, 87-102.
Nguyen, H. -H. D., O’Neal, A., & Ryan, A. M. (2003). Relating test-taking attitudes and skills and stereotype threat effects to the racial gap in cognitive ability test performance. Human Performance, 16, 261-294.
Rotundo, M., Nguyen, D.-H., & Sackett, P. R. (2001). A meta-analytic review of gender differences in perceptions of sexual harassment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86, 914-922.
Streets, V.N., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2014). Stereotype threat impacts on women in the workforce. In R.J. Burke & D.A. Major (Eds.), Gender in organizations : Are men allies or adversaries to women’s career advancement (pp. 270-290). Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
Boles, T.L., Le, H., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2010). Persons, organizations, and societies: The effects of collectivism and individualism on cooperation. In R.M. Kramer, A. E. Tenbrunsel, & M. H. Bazerman (Eds.), Social Decision Making: Social Dilemmas, Social Values, and Ethical Judgments (pp. 171-200). New York: Psychology Press.
Chao, G. T., & Nguyen, H. -H. D. (2005). International perspectives on employment discrimination. In R. L. Dipboye & A. Colella (Eds.), The Psychological and Organizational Bases of Discrimination at Work (pp. 379-408). Somerset, NJ: Jossey-Bass.
Awards & Honors
May 2023 - University of Hawaii at Manoa, Office of the President – 2023 Recipient of a Presidential Citation for Meritorious Teaching.
September 2022 – University of Hawaii, Manoa, Office of the Dean’s Graduate Division – Level-3 Graduate Faculty Appointment with the Business Administration PhD (GBUS) graduate program.
May 2022 – Shidler College of Business – 2021-2022 Dennis Ching Senior Teaching Award (Certificate of Recognition).
Fall 2021 - Shidler College of Business – BBA Professor of the Semester for a Major Core Course (Certificate of Recognition)
2020, August - Shidler College of Business, the Dean’s Office – Appointment as Shidler College Faculty Fellow for three years.
2017-2021 – Shidler College of Business, the Dean’s Office - Summer Research Funding recipient (annual renewal)
2017 National Natural Science Foundation of China’s Grant of 280,000 RMB, awarded to Jie Yang (principal investigator), Hannah-Hanh Nguyen and Associates. (NSFC no. 71762013).
- Aug. 12, 2013: "2012 Journal of Organization Behavior Best Paper Award Runner-Up" awarded by JOB and Wiley for the paper "Multiple categorization in resume screening: Examining effects on hiring discrimination against Arab applicants in field and lab settings," Volume 33 Issue 4.
- 2010-present - Part-time Research Scientist appointment, The Center for Innovation and Strategic Human Resource Management at Jiangxi University of Finance and Economics, P.R. China
- 2008-present - Research Fellow appointment, The Michigan State University Center for Multicultural Psychology Research
- 2008 - Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology’s “Featured Top Posters,” Do applicants with an Arab-sounding name suffer more hiring discrimination? Co-investigators: Derous, E. (principal), & Ryan, A.M.
- 2007 - Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology’s Small Grant Recipient. Hiring Discrimination Against Arabs: Interaction with Applicant, Job, and Recruiter Characteristics. Co-investigators: Derous, E. (principal), & Ryan, A.M.
- 2002-2005 - National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program, National Science Foundation
- 2001-2003 - International Predissertation Fellowship Program, the Social Science Research Council, New York
- 2000-2006 - Competitive Doctoral Enrichment Fellowship, Michigan State University
- 2000 - Phi Kappa Phi Scholarship, California State University, Long Beach
- 2000 - Outstanding Graduate (Valedictorian), Class of 2000, College of Liberal Arts, California State University Long Beach
- 2000 - Minority Undergraduate Student of Excellence, American Psychological Association
- 2000 - 1st Place - State-wide Student Research Competition, the California State University system
- 1998-2000 - National Institute of Mental Health Career Opportunities in Research (COR) Program
- 1998-2000 - Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Scholars Program
- 1998-1999 - California Pre-Doctoral Scholars Program, California State University, Office of Chancellors
- 2008-2009 - Internal Consultant. Western Association of Schools and Colleges Core Commitment Group on Communication
- 2008-present - External Consultant. The Union of Vietnamese Student Associations of Southern California, Garden Grove, California.
- 2007, 2010, 2013 - Program Evaluator. Long Beach Better Learning After School Today (BLAST) program.
- 2007 - Program Evaluator. Center for Community Engagement (CCE).
- 2006 - Internal Consultant. North America Recruiting Office, Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI.
- 2005-2008 - External consultant. Gifts Compass Instrument, Inc., Ohio.
- 2004 - Expert rater (pro bono). The Personnel Board of Jefferson County, Alabama.
- 2003-2004 - Workshop coordinator. Police Executive Development workshop series: “Executive Leadership for Challenging Times”
- 2003 - Expert rater. The SHL Litigation Support Group USA, Inc., Boulder, Colorado.
- 2002-2003 - Research Intern. University of Social Sciences and Humanities at Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- 2002-2003 - External consultant. Jackson National Life, Okemos, MI.
- 2001 - External consultant. Pharmacia, Kalamazoo, MI. Faculty: Drs. Neal Schmitt & Ann Marie Ryan.
- 2000-2001 - External consultant. The City of Columbus Fire Department, Columbus, OH.