- Associate Professor of Management
- PhD, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1988
- MS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1982
- BA, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1979
Articles In Referred Journals
Brice, William D. and Richardson, James, “Culture in Family Business: A Two-Country Empirical Investigation,” European Business Review, Vol. 21, No.2, 2009.
Richardson, James, “The Business Model: An Integrative Framework for Strategy Execution,” Strategic Change, Vol. 17, No. 4, 2008.
Morris, Mike, Minet Schindehutte, James Richardson, and Jeffrey Allen, “Is the Business Model a Useful Strategic Concept: Conceptual, Theoretical, and Empirical Insights,” Journal of Small Business Strategy, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2006.
Richardson, James, “Entrepreneurship and Development in Asia,” International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, Vol.4, No.5, 2004.
Richardson, James, "Vertical Integration and Rapid Response in Fashion Apparel," in Ilinitch, A.Y., A.Y. Lewin, & R. D’Aveni (eds.) Managing in Times of Disorder: Hypercompetitive Organizational Responses, Sage, 1998.
Kim, Karl, Lei Li, James Richardson, and Lawrence Nitz, “Drivers at Fault: Influences of Age, Sex, and Vehicle Type,” Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 29, No. 3, 1998.
Richardson, James, "Vertical Integration and Rapid Response in Fashion Apparel," Organization Science, Vol. 7, No. 4, 1996.
Richardson, James, Karl Kim, Lawrence Nitz and Lei Li "Patterns of motor vehicle crash involvement by driver age and sex,"Journal of Safety Research, 1996.
Kim, Karl, Lawrence Nitz, James Richardson, and Lei Li "Personal and behavioral predictors of automobile crash and injury severity," Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 27, No. 4, 1995.
Kim, Karl, Lawrence Nitz, James Richardson, & Lei Li, "Analyzing the relationship between Crash Types and Injuries in Motor Vehicle Collisions in Hawaii,"Transportation Research Record, 1467, 1995.
Richardson, James and James Roumasset, "Sole Sourcing, Competitive Sourcing, Parallel Sourcing: Mechanisms for Supplier Performance," Mangerial and Decision Economics, Vol. 16, No. 1, 1995.
Richardson, James, "Parallel Sourcing and Supplier Performance in the Japanese Automobile Industry," Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 14, No. 5, 1993.
Richardson, James, "Restructuring Supplier Relationships in U.S. Manufacturing for Improved Quality," Management International Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, 1993.
Richardson, James & Howard Kunreuther, "Experimental Test of a Nash-efficient Mechanism for Collective Choice with Compensation," Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 1993.
Richardson, James, "Nash-Efficient Siting of Hazardous Facilities," Socioeconomic Planning Sciences, Vol. 26, No. 3, 1992.
Richardson, James & Chen, Charles X., “On the Publication of New Ideas in Management,” SSRN, 2010.
Richardson, James, “The Business Model: An Integrative Framework for Strategy Execution,” SSRN, 2007. Top 10 downloaded paper in the MRN.
Review of Beyond Partnership: Strategies for Innovation and Lean Supply by Richard Lamming,Journal of International Business Studies, 25(3), 1994.
Review of Chaebol by Sterns et. al, Korean Studies , Vol. 19, 1995.
Review of Selected System for the Honolulu Rapid Transit, prepared for the Hawaii State Office of Planning, Karl Kim, BJ Wie, and James Richardson,1992.
Crash Outcome Data Evaluation System Final Report, Kim, Karl, Lawrence Nitz, and James Richardson, prepared for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, US Dept. of Transportation, 1993-94.
- 2006-present - Board of Advisors, Ocean News Network
- 1996-present - President, Surflight Hawaii, Inc.
- 1987-1990 - Principal in The Proactive Group, consultants in strategic planning and information systems planning
- 1986-1990 - Operations Research Analyst for the Directorate of Information Management, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Honolulu
- Research assistant in management consulting for the Busch Center, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- 1982 - Operations Analyst for the Service Department of Hawaiian Telephone Company, Honolulu
- 1975-1977 - Partner and assistant manager in Sticky Fingers Resin Works, a major Hawaii surfboard manufacturer
- 1972-1974 - Co-founder of Surface Dynamics of California, a corporation formed to manufacture and market several inventions (one patented) in the surfboard and small boat industries
- 1970-1980 - Professional surfboard designer-shaper