Professional marketing managers work in exciting and dynamic fields such as brand management, new product development, social media communications, marketing research, sustainability management, entrepreneurial marketing, and sales management. If you enjoy working with people and are looking for an exciting career in the challenging world of business, then a degree in Marketing may be right for you.
Definition and Scope
The field of Marketing seeks to build long-term mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their stakeholders through:
- Research - identifying stakeholder (e.g., customers, general public, etc.) challenges and socially responsible solutions
- Creation - developing sustainable goods and services that provide genuine and lasting value
- Delivery - distributing goods and services to customers efficiently and effectively
- Communication - building long-term relationships with stakeholders through value co-creation
Careers in Marketing
Described below are some of the major Marketing fields and examples of professional positions within each field.
- Product/Brand Management (Product Manager, Brand Manager, Packaging Specialist, Pricing Specialist, Promotions Specialist)
- Marketing Communications (Account Executive, Digital/Social Media Marketing Manager, Media Buyer)
- Distribution (Supply Chain Manager, Logistics Specialist)
- Marketing Research (Marketing Researcher, Consultant, Marketing Analytics Manager)
- Sales (Professional Sales, Sales Management)
- Place-based and Online Retail Management (Buyer, Store Manager, Merchandiser, Social Media Specialist)
- Sustainable Marketing Manager (Environmental Impact Manager, Fair Trade Manager, Social Responsibility Specialist)
Marketing Course Requirements (15 credit hours, all with "C-" or better)
- MKT 311
- MKT 321 (may be taken for those students who double major in marketing and management)
- MKT 391
- Any two of the following:
MKT 331, 332, 341, 351, 352, 361, 362, 363, 372, 381, 410, 411.
For more information about our courses, go to course listing.
For more information on a Bachelor Degree Program Sheet, go to https://manoa.hawaii.edu/ovcaa/programsheets/.